Tracking

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Fascinating Recovery

When I woke up from surgery I was fascinated by what was going on around me.  The first things I did was check the clock and check to see if I lost a tooth.  But then I found everything going on around me to be really interesting.  The girl to my right had a double mastectomy and had another wound, she was going home that day. Though interestingly she didn't have anyone there waiting for her, she had some friends meeting her later on - WOW!

A little while later a new patient came in to my left and she had also had a mastectomy.  Wow, apparently I need to get on top of my breast self checks!

When I woke up I asked for my parents, I knew that since I was staying overnight they would allow them in for a visit, unlike last time when I had to pull myself together.  The nurse said I had to wait until I left recovery, but I told her I was staying overnight and she said I could see them soon.  It did take a while to see them though since they had to change my IV first.  When my parents had left they told them it would be about an hour until I got my room, it ended up taking closer to 2 hours between getting some drugs (I wasn't in pain so I didn't take medication until after my parents left,) and getting all of my paperwork together.

There was a nurse who had been working recovery for about 3 months and she was my nurse.  But after 3 months she was having issues with managing 2 patients.  I heard a fair amount of conversation about her and the nurse mentoring her kept having to remind her to do things and keep on top of things and stuff.  I'm afraid poor old Sally doesn't have a career in recovery.  I hope I don't get to find out from experience though.  But who knows the nurse mentoring lives in my town so I could run into her somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment