Tracking

Sunday, July 4, 2010

When novacaine goes bad.

A few weeks ago I went to LF to get 2 small cavities filled.  I'm not a fan of the drill, but it's always been more of a nusance then anything else.  But this time I was having an anxiety attack.  My heart rate went up, my hands started shaking and that drill was driving me crazy!  I felt so silly about it that I didn't even say anything.  I hate the drill, but not this much, or so I thought.  I managed to survive the encounter and the cavities were filled.

Later on that night I was thinking and realized I had the same reaction last time, at the time I thought I was just a little emotional since I was starting this whole process with my teeth, but I certainly didn't feel that way this time.  I checked Google - apparently there has been a recent change in novacaine and the newer stuff now has epinephrine in it and I'm not the only one to have had a reaction like this.  The "new" novacaine lasts longer, which is good if you can tolerate the epinephrine.  If not then it seems you have the choice of valium or different novacaine.  I spoke to LF and she's going to give me different novacaine next time.

Sorry it took so long to post this, but nothing is really new with my teeth at the moment - they're all still there but not doing much at the moment.  I do see Dr. F this week and my surgery is in 3 and a half weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment