Tracking

Monday, July 12, 2010

Another painful experience

Last week I was back at Dr. F's office and left feeling slightly irritated...

Apparently my wire on the top shifted a bit and had to be moved back.  Also, he did fix the wire that was attached to the palate expander, I think I left him wondering how I did that.  Also, one of the girls put a shorter chain on the lower right tooth that they've been trying to rotate.  It has hurt a fair bit since then so I think the tooth might have actually moved.  Looking at it though sometime I think it did move, other times I don't think so. 

We also had a conversation about my surgery on the 27th, he's not sure how Dr. S wants to handle it.  Then he started to almost think out loud to me about how they usually wait 5-6 months from the time the palate expander finishes expanding - that would acutally be Aug 17.  This is the first I've heard the wait time this way.  I was originally told by Dr. F 4-6 months and the same by Dr. S, no one added in the rest about after the palate expander finishes expanding.  This irritated me quite a bit since it was 3 weeks before my surgery and he decides to bring it up then.  At this point I'm pretty much committed mentally to July 27th.  But once or twice Dr. S has made comments about Dr. F being conservative, which fits well with my perception of him.  But at this point I'm sticking with the July 27th date.  My theory is that if the surgeon thinks this is enough time then it probably is.  If it was an orthodontic issue then I would defer to the orthodontist. 

Two other things that I have thought of/ noticed since that visit.  The numbness in my gums has gone away on the right side of my mouth.  I'm still dumb a bit on the left side, but being as the tooth on the left side of the cleft hurts I know that the area there isn't still numb.  The other thing I thought is that when Dr. F gets me ready for the surgery he's probably going to take the wire out of my braces and it probably wont go back in for a few weeks.  My fake tooth is held in with the wires.  3 weeks after the surgery I'm going away with the family for a few days, I can deal with a gap for that trip.  However, in the middle of September I'm going away on a 2 week tour and I do not want to have a gap there.  I feel funny meeting new people and having to explain the lack of tooth, but even worse is that every picture from that trip will have me missing a tooth and that will drive me crazy for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment