Tracking

Monday, April 6, 2009

Orthodontist #3

In the middle of March I met with Dr. F. He's a bit older then the others, and knew my old orthodontist and plastic surgeon. This felt good. He started with a very basic history and I liked his style. Then he hit me with the $650 consultation fee. I figured I wasn't really in a position to walk out and I liked him so far so I went with it and had the whole history done. Besides the $650 would go towards my total price from my braces - I was trying to think positive because I knew the braces were going to be expensive. During the history he seemed to do things a little differently and in a good way. I left poorer, but felt like I might have met, the one...

Three weeks later Mom and I met with Dr. F. He presented 3 options. I'll go in reverse order... Don't do anything except have LF make a better crown for the two teeth and go on with life and be done. He didn't say it, but I will, it wouldn't last forever. Option 2 had me using braces to round out my mouth and make other adjustments. Get a bone graft to secure the teeth in that area and call it a day. This was pretty much I was expected and was similar to what Dr. G had suggested. But plan 1 was still to come. This plan would start with a palate expander, braces, then bone graft. What this would do is open up my smile more, widen the base of my nostrils and allow for a more extensive bone graft. All of this would allow the opportunity for me to also have surgery to further repair my cleft lip and the partially collapsed nostril. The price tag was just about $9000. for the braces. Dr. F explained that the palate expander and bone graft would be processed through health insurance which would probably have some sort of co-payment/deductible issues. He also explained that NY State has a law that requires health insurance plans to pay for an implant for a congenitally missing too, which I have, or rather don't have.

I walked out feeling more then a little overwhelmed. I didn't walk in thinking that I needed perfect teeth, nor did I ever consider having my nose and my lip re-repaired. But the ability to do so, if I chose to, made me lean toward the most extensive plan. Mom seemed to agree too, though she never said so. I did a little research on this infamous palate expander and found this account of the experience, and it really didn't seem that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment