Tracking

Monday, April 5, 2010

So what's the deal with the bone graft?

I went to Dr. S today primarily to discuss when I would have my bone graft surgery. He said that Dr. F was being very conservative and I had to wait 4 months since the date of my last surgery. February 23 + 4 months = July (I'm guessing that Dr. S is going on vacation in early July so no late June or early July). I scheduled for July 27, but nothing is that easy since that is cutting it close to some vacations I have planned. I'll get back to that in a minute...

I asked Dr. S what the recovery was like after the bone graft - he said for 2 weeks I'll be on really soft food, ugh, I'm sick of soft food already! He said he was going to take the bone from my tibia (shin just below my knee) and that I would be a little sore 7-10 days and wont be jogging for a little while. But he said that if he had to take from my hip then the recover is a lot slower, possibly a couple months to get fully back up and running. He seemed to play that down, but the fact that he mentioned it indicates that it's a possibility. I also looked online, though it's hard to tell what type of bone grafts people are reporting about. Sounds like I'll be fairly sore for at least 2 weeks and the roof of my mouth will be easily irritated and tender for 2 weeks. And I saw that there might be an issue with flying (the whole pressurized cabin thing.)

After talking to Mom, who seemed a little concerned about the time frame and confused as to why I couldn't do it earlier I decided to call Dr. S's office. He said 2-3 weeks to fly, so I'm good, but I'm on the border with that time frame and that stressed me a bit. I asked if there was any possibility of getting the surgery the week before and was told that they are waiting for more surgical space and she'll see next week if they get more room. If they do she'll call me and give me a spot the week before. I would feel much more comfortable with that. While the trip to Las Vegas with my family is pretty relaxing I feel like 3 weeks will be cutting it close, 4 weeks I feel MUCH better with.

The other thing I asked about was my front tooth that I've been having trouble with - it's been sore for a couple years now and finally had a root canal in the fall. It's very close to the cleft but Dr. S thinks there is enough bone. However, he wont know for sure until he cuts open my mouth. Ackk!

I also have a vacation that I'm planning for mid September with Contiki. I think I'm fine with mid to late July and the recovery. Unless, they take the bone from my hip, my solution is to carefully research the reasons I can cancel my tour with travel insurance companies.

No comments:

Post a Comment